I began my career in the satellite technology industry. Assuming a management role, I became CEO of one of the biggest music and film companies in the bay area. But with young children, I desired a
5 Tips for Having a Successful Career AND Work-Life Balance
Dated: September 22 2021
I began my career in the satellite technology industry. Assuming a management role, I became CEO of one of the biggest music and film companies in the bay area. But with young children, I desired a more flexible work-life schedule. This led me to a career in real estate. As per my history, I wanted to be successful. The first years in the industry, I never took a weekend off. But in establishing a career, I also learned how to have a rich family, social life, and reach my career goals.
I’ve accumulated my top 5 tips for having an amazing career AND work-life balance.
1) Play to your productivity peaks – I start my workday early before my family wakes up. I plan out my schedule and answer emails so I am ready to jump in with clients when “normal” business hours kick in. This allows me peace of mind to know what my day will bring (as best as can be predicted) and to spend some time with my family members before they head out to school and work.
2) Schedule breaks to reduce distractions – Often I use a 15-minute rule. I allot fifteen minutes for breaks between tasks. These could be a time to call my mother, check in with my partner or kids, walk the dog, or grab a quick lunch. This ensures I can focus on work tasks during my “business” hours.
3) Maximize time doing things you love – I love giving back to my community. It feeds my soul. I also love spending time with friends. What we have learned is that we can combine these two activities. Whether spending time painting a house for Habitat for Humanity or attending a charity gala, it’s always more fun when you do it with friends. Charitable functions can also be a time for networking and meeting new people.
4) Prioritize what makes sense – Tasks like shopping, meal prep, cleaning, and laundry can be outsourced in so many different ways now. Because your time is worth money, make sure you’re making the most of it. Using a meal delivery plan or having a food prep service can give you back valuable hours in your week so you can enjoy meals with your family and still have enough time for your business.
5) Involve your family – Especially if you’re your own business owner, make your venture a family one. As a real estate agent I employ my family to help me stage homes, put up signs, and host open houses. They can fold flyers or create graphics if they have aptitude for that. This can promote not only togetherness but a sense of working towards family goals.
My first year as a real estate agent I earned $400k. Moving to Sotheby’s I earned a top 1% rank the first year with them. I landed the first sale of a house over $100M in the history of the U.S. I am listed in L.A.’s Business Journal's Top 40 Women of Influence. I appeared on Real Trend’s Top 250 Real Estate Professionals, an annual ranking sponsored by the WSJ. I’ve been listed as a Top 100 agent in the country. I serve as a luxury real estate market expert for WSJ and BBC.
As a luxury real estate expert and advisor and owner of Catherine Bassick Fine Homes and Estates, brokered by EXP Realty, I rank as Luxury Home Marketing Million Dollar Guild Level and as top 0.5% in the country in my industry.
Still, I enjoy time with family, in my volunteer endeavors, with friends and pets. With focus on productivity, managing work “breaks”, outsourcing life tasks, maximizing time doing things I love, and engaging my family in the business, I’ve achieved reaching career goals as well as enjoying a healthy and happy work-life balance.
Catherine Bassick Fine Homes and Estates
Senior Global Real Estate Advisor
Brokered by EXP Realty
MA LIC# 9558155
CA DRE# 01380305
• Sold The First Single Family Home Over $100 Million in U.S. History
• America's Top 250 Real Estate Professionals & Top 100 Agents in the U.S. - Wall Street Journal
• Best-Selling Author Of Luxury Home Selling Mastery
• "Top 40 Influential Business Women" - Business Journal
• Certified Luxury specialist, Christie’s
• Sold The First Single Family Home Over $100 Million in U.S. History • America's Top 250 Real Estate Professionals & Top 100 Agents in the U.S. - Wall Street Journal • Best-Selling Author Of Lu....
Latest Blog Posts
Buying a home is exciting. Most people have visualized their dream home—large, inviting kitchen; multiple bedrooms for family and guests; perhaps a backyard with built-in BBQ, pool, and